A few years ago, I took a class from Lorri Scott in the natural dyeing of fabrics (by the way, if you ever get a chance to take a class from Lorri, do so). I love the idea of using leaves, flower petals, and rusty objects to color my fabrics. A few weekends ago, I spent the afternoon dyeing muslin with rose petals, maple leaves, onion skins, rusty nails and other bits, and blueberries. Below are some of the results.
A while back I painted, printed and embellished fabric squares.
Below is a fabric square which I later embellished with buttons (and a few snaps).
Below is the fabric square which I embellished with beads.
I decided it was time for a new purse; so I used two of my embellished fabric squares (for the front and back), one painted square (for the sides and bottom) and a fat quarter of fabric printed from a scan of the beaded square (for handles, top and pouches).
Below are some views of my new purse.
I forgot to take photos while I was putting the purse together until the very end when I was sewing in the zipper top. I add zippers to the tops of my purses now because I've lost some things that fell out of open topped purses.
Below is a view of the purse - trying to show the front, back, zippered top and straps. The fabric I used for the straps and top is a printed piece of fabric professionally made from a scan I took of the front panel (I used Spoonflower). Also, because of the delicacy of the bead work, I covered the front panel with matte gel; it's an experiment to see if the gel will keep the beads from getting broken or ripped off from the purse.
This is the back panel. You can see where I embellished the fabric with buttons - and I also put buttons on the base of each strap - to tie the front and back together.
Here's a view from the top.You can see the lining (I used commercial fabric; it has two zippered inside pockets) and the two pouches I made from the remaining fabric from Spoonflower.
It may sound strange, but I'm really happy to be back to using a purse I made myself. For the past two months, I've been using a store-bought purse and it just doesn't seem right.
I finally finished beading the piece of fabric I had mono-printed, painted, and covered with freeform stitching. Pictures cannot convey the wonderful feel (the hand) of this piece. I started out with the idea of using some beads as a bit of embellishment; but I just kept beading and beading. This piece is about 12x13 inches.
Below are photos of details of the piece. You can see more of the painted fabric and sewing in these photos.
To answer the most logical question, I am not sure what I am going to do with this piece. It may end up as a wall hanging, but it may be incorporated into something else. There's no hurry to decide.
Inspired by a gift from my friend Kate, I made a set of placemats out of painted/colored drawings collaged with background monoprinted papers, washi tapes, duct tape, and sayings. Kate and my friend Cathwren and I had a delightful afternoon making placemats. After making the original collages, I scanned them and then took them to Office Max to be laminated with extra thick plastic (they are, after all, supposed to be used as real placemats). It was a fun project.
I had a large piece of muslin left over from a project. I decided to tear it up into rectangles and sqares and then play with paints, my gelli plate, stencils and stamps. (And, to answer the most commonly asked question, I plan to use the fabric pieces for a variety of projects: purses, altered clothing, quilts and wall hangings; but I don't have a specific plan for all of them.) I used acrylic paints. The pieces are in a variety of stages of completion. As I work on them, I will decide what they need and when each is finished.
Below is a piece that has a lot of work to be done:
The piece below has a circle theme. The big circles are from a stamp I carved.
On this piece, I used a stencil I made, an attempt to make a picture of my younger daughter.
Below is my start on a steam punk piece using a commercial stencil.
I used a letter stencil on the piece below; I'm thinking I may use it on a journal cover.
I used a tree mask on the piece below in an attempt to make a fantasy forest. I'm pleased with the start, but have to think about what comes next.
People who know me won't be surprised to hear that I have a lot more fabric pieces (I have a total of 28 fabric pieces in this project; all the pieces are about 14x14 inches). I'll post more as I continue to work on them.
Sometimes, a photo is more dramatic in black and white. Marie Otero recently offered an online class on black and white photos and, although currently lagging behind, I am learning a lot from the class.