I wanted to put my prayer flags from my swap (see previous post) up on my deck - so I can look at them from my kitchen and studio (I spend a lot of time in both places). I aded extra flags that I made to the beautiful flags I got in the swap.
I just finished a fabric prayer flag swap (5 for 5 or multiple of 5 for multiple of 5). I sent them all off this afternoon (except for the Kalamazoo participants, to whom I will hand deliver flags this week). It was an exchange of 4 inch by 6 inch portrait oriented flags. There were 27 participants (including me). It will not surprise anyone who knows me that I made extra sets and extra flags .I will string up some of the extras with the flags I got from the swap; and I will keep some to send to friends as presents.
I loved this project. I found that working on the flags was a very positive experience for me. I also loved the flags that I received in the swap. My artist friends really put part of themselves into these small pieces of art.
Below are photos of a sampling of the sets of flags I made. When I get my flags strung together, I will post a photo.
these are made from commercial fabric; my polymer buttons; and, free form sewn words...
These are made from a cutter quilt.
These are made from cut up jeans.
These are from raw silk that I dyed in a class.
below, I cut up an embellished monoprint to make flags
These are a a Photoshop image I printed out on fabric.
Another photoshopped photo.
Below, I used tea-dyed vintage crocheted doilies.
Monoprinted fabric and polymer buttons.
These are reverse applique.
Naturally dyed fabric.
More commercial fabric and polymer buttons, below.
Below are flags made from monoprinted fabric and embroidered words.
I spent a delightful time in Port Mouton in Nova Scotia this past week. Martha Brown was a great host and tour guide and weather whisperer (she kept the rain at bay while we went about taking photos, eating well, and meeting people).
Below are too many photos (and Photoshop variations).
A few years ago, I took a class from Lorri Scott in the natural dyeing of fabrics (by the way, if you ever get a chance to take a class from Lorri, do so). I love the idea of using leaves, flower petals, and rusty objects to color my fabrics. A few weekends ago, I spent the afternoon dyeing muslin with rose petals, maple leaves, onion skins, rusty nails and other bits, and blueberries. Below are some of the results.
A while back I painted, printed and embellished fabric squares.
Below is a fabric square which I later embellished with buttons (and a few snaps).
Below is the fabric square which I embellished with beads.
I decided it was time for a new purse; so I used two of my embellished fabric squares (for the front and back), one painted square (for the sides and bottom) and a fat quarter of fabric printed from a scan of the beaded square (for handles, top and pouches).
Below are some views of my new purse.
I forgot to take photos while I was putting the purse together until the very end when I was sewing in the zipper top. I add zippers to the tops of my purses now because I've lost some things that fell out of open topped purses.
Below is a view of the purse - trying to show the front, back, zippered top and straps. The fabric I used for the straps and top is a printed piece of fabric professionally made from a scan I took of the front panel (I used Spoonflower). Also, because of the delicacy of the bead work, I covered the front panel with matte gel; it's an experiment to see if the gel will keep the beads from getting broken or ripped off from the purse.
This is the back panel. You can see where I embellished the fabric with buttons - and I also put buttons on the base of each strap - to tie the front and back together.
Here's a view from the top.You can see the lining (I used commercial fabric; it has two zippered inside pockets) and the two pouches I made from the remaining fabric from Spoonflower.
It may sound strange, but I'm really happy to be back to using a purse I made myself. For the past two months, I've been using a store-bought purse and it just doesn't seem right.
I finally finished beading the piece of fabric I had mono-printed, painted, and covered with freeform stitching. Pictures cannot convey the wonderful feel (the hand) of this piece. I started out with the idea of using some beads as a bit of embellishment; but I just kept beading and beading. This piece is about 12x13 inches.
Below are photos of details of the piece. You can see more of the painted fabric and sewing in these photos.
To answer the most logical question, I am not sure what I am going to do with this piece. It may end up as a wall hanging, but it may be incorporated into something else. There's no hurry to decide.
Inspired by a gift from my friend Kate, I made a set of placemats out of painted/colored drawings collaged with background monoprinted papers, washi tapes, duct tape, and sayings. Kate and my friend Cathwren and I had a delightful afternoon making placemats. After making the original collages, I scanned them and then took them to Office Max to be laminated with extra thick plastic (they are, after all, supposed to be used as real placemats). It was a fun project.