Last summer, I started altering a big white shirt into a dress (thank you, Lorri Scott!). I should have taken pictures of the process, but I wasn't organized enough to do that; so, I will describe the process.
I started with a big white shirt (long sleeves, long hem, great side pockets and a breast pocket). I dyed the shirt and some linens all together (the different fabrics took the dye in various shades, even though they were in in the same dye pot - and the thread used on the shirt remained white). The longest time was spent in deciding what to put where.
I made a skirt extension out of dyed ribbon, placemats, a table cloth and antimacassars. I added buttonholes to make sure my dress does not pop open (a challenge, because my trusty Bernina decided the automatic buttonhole function should not function) and replaced the shirt buttons with some of my handmade polymer buttons (interestingly, the white buttons on the shirt took the dye, so I kept the sleeve buttons on and will use the rest in another project).
Below are way too many photos of my dress.
Below is a photo where you can better see the sarri ribbon and flower trim I used as embellishment, also the ribbon I died on the top of one sleeve and the cuff of the other sleeve.
A close up of the the dress front (pocket embellishment and sari ribbons band).
Below is a close up of the buttons I made.
The photo below shows the skirt extension of tablecloth, placemat and antimaccassar on the front of the dress.
Below is the back of the dress.
A side view of the dress.
The other side of the dress'