Yesterday, my friend Catherine came over and we dyed ribbons and pieces of fabric with rust and with plants (note to self: get organized about which plants and leaves actually work; a bright flower petal is no indiction of the color, if any, that results).
I used mostly maple leaves, poke berries, bachelor buttons, and rose petals on this long silk ribbon.
Below are ribbons and fabric dyed with rust.
You can't see it in this photo, but there are a few places where the rust ate through the silk. I neutralized the pieces after I dyed them (using salt water), but rust is corrosive.
More rust pieces below.
I used a lot of muslin as well as silk ribbons.
Bits of rust give this silk ribbon some character.