I just finished a fabric prayer flag swap (5 for 5 or multiple of 5 for multiple of 5). I sent them all off this afternoon (except for the Kalamazoo participants, to whom I will hand deliver flags this week). It was an exchange of 4 inch by 6 inch portrait oriented flags. There were 27 participants (including me). It will not surprise anyone who knows me that I made extra sets and extra flags .I will string up some of the extras with the flags I got from the swap; and I will keep some to send to friends as presents.
I loved this project. I found that working on the flags was a very positive experience for me. I also loved the flags that I received in the swap. My artist friends really put part of themselves into these small pieces of art.
Below are photos of a sampling of the sets of flags I made. When I get my flags strung together, I will post a photo.
these are made from commercial fabric; my polymer buttons; and, free form sewn words...
These are made from a cutter quilt.
These are made from cut up jeans.
These are from raw silk that I dyed in a class.
below, I cut up an embellished monoprint to make flags
These are a a Photoshop image I printed out on fabric.
Another photoshopped photo.
Below, I used tea-dyed vintage crocheted doilies.
Monoprinted fabric and polymer buttons.
These are reverse applique.
Naturally dyed fabric.
More commercial fabric and polymer buttons, below.
Below are flags made from monoprinted fabric and embroidered words.